Friday, December 2, 2011

Oh, the Joys of Notes

Well written notes are amazing.  I mean, if you write something down, geared well towards how you remember things, you can recall events from long ago.

During this semester, I have written many notes on various topics.  Recently, I have read some of my old notes and have been amazed.  Sometimes I  just wonder what was I thinking when I wrote it.  Other times, I read a small bit and an entire memory comes up in my mind.

I know I mentioned it in a previous post, but note taking is something I have always wanted to be better at.  To just be able to summarize what someone is saying, while keeping the important points, is such an important skill.  The book we read tended to point out techniques more for taking notes on written material, but this would be a fabulous skill when listening to lectures (or a family member drone on and on...).

This is coming to mind now as my team is actively preparing to teach a lesson.  As we have prepared, I have read through my notes of not just the class, but of our lesson plan and the ideas we had as well.  I have been grateful for the notes I have had as my mind has turned up blank on many occasions when asked about a different part of the lesson.

So my goal for myself: work harder at summarizing what people are saying, without losing the important bits.  This is something I know will extend beyond work and into everyday life.

And that's important.

No comments:

Post a Comment